Google Wants Your Links, Not Your Content

Kent Anderson posts a broad and alternative perspective on the
future of content with respect to the Google Books Settlement,
see:

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2009/04/14/links-matter-more-than-content-folks/

"Recently, there has been a great deal of hand-wringing over the
Google Books Settlement. My view is that it's not a huge deal for
authors or publishers to have their content indexed by Google and
shown in snippets. We're so worried about where our content goes
that we're missing the point. For Google, content is only a means
to an end. What they are dominating and appropriating is
distribution."

This post and others like it can be found on the Scholarly Kitchen
http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/

--Phil Davis