RE: Digital publishing and university presses

Everyone in publishing knows how highly inefficient it is to use
local printers to produce hard copy. The per page cost to the
consumer for most academic books ranges from under a penny to a
few cents, whereas using a standard desktop printer probably
costs twice that amount.  The shift to having people print out on
their own, or library, printers adds significant costs to the
entire process--which, of course, are rarely tallied when one
hears about the supposed lower costs of publishing online.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Pess