Announcing de Gruyter Open Library: An Innovative Open Access Model for Journals and Book Series

For immediate release:

Announcing de Gruyter Open Library: An Innovative Open Access
Model for Journals and Book Series

de Gruyter now offers an innovative publishing model for its
journals and book series: de Gruyter Open Library. The de Gruyter
Open Library provides an opportunity for authors to be published
in a valuable hybrid model for both books and journals. Dr. Sven
Fund, Managing Director of de Gruyter, stated: "In the interests
of an efficient supply of scholarly information, we wish to
create an offer with de Gruyter Open Library that meets the
shifting interests of the authors, customers and partners alike.
Regardless of discipline and publication format, we see the
transparency of our offer as a prerequisite for the success of
future cooperation with scholars from all fields."  For the
hybrid model, permission of the publisher of the series or volume
will be obtained in advance.

de Gruyter offers a standard Open Access Model: for the price of
$2,450 per article, authors can provide readers with access to
their contributions free of charge on de Gruyter's online
platform www.reference-global.com. Regardless of the discipline
and length of the publication, the model for articles from
journals, book series or collected volumes will be applied. The
choice of Open Access has no influence on the peer review process
and the resulting scholarly quality of the articles. Besides
publishing the article on de Gruyter's own platform, de Gruyter
will archive the links in an Open Access Repository as a service
provided to the authors. In the event of a calculated 20%
increase in revenues through Open Access, a future downward
adjustment of the product price is planned.

Referring to the objective, Dr. Sven Fund maintained that "with
the de Gruyter Open Library we afford a change from
subscriber-based business models to one financed directly by
scholars, as demanded by international institutions promoting
scholarship".

For more information on de Gruyter Open Library, please visit
http://www.degruyter.com/cont/glob/openAccessEn.cfm

Contact:
Kathryn Ruehle
Marketing Director, North America