From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Jan Szczepanski
Sent: 04 April, 2009 4:56 AM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Dramatic Growth of Open Access - March 31, 2009

The dramatic growth is also confirmed by Evalinde Hutzler in
figures published in the german journal Bibliotheksdienst on page
170. Maybe she is also an "avowed advocate" but the German
figures are in line with the development in DOAJ.

In 2002 there were 9.574 red titles and 3.161 green titles and in
2007 18.314 red ones and 16.492 green ones. That is a 100% red
growth and a 500% green growth.

My guess is that in 2009 there are more free open access journals
than commercial.

Without doubt, in the long run, open access will dominate
publishing.

http://www.zlb.de/aktivitaeten/bd_neu/heftinhalte2008/Erschliessung010208BD.pdf

Jan