From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Emmet, Joan
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 9:38 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Multi-Site licensing language

Georgie,

I push hard against "multi-site" licensing all together.  When
licenses take into account all of the FTE of an institution or
whatever means of pricing, it should be institutionally based
rather than geographically. I define an institution by its IP
ranges, which is more accurate as affiliated users could be
anywhere and as long as they can connect to the secure network of
the institution, there is absolutely no reason to consider the
geographical location of the institution.

I would encourage everyone to adopt this understanding.  Site
simply isn't relevant in the world of electronic access from
anywhere on the globe.

Joan Emmet
Program Support Librarian, NERL Consortium
PH: 203.432.2897 | FX: 203.432.7231
joan.emmet@yale.edu