Re: Dramatic Growth of Open Access - March 31, 2009

Lots of figures to chew on here, Heather.  You write that DOAJ is
increasing at the rate of two titles per day.  Can you elucidate?
Are two new open access journals actually launching every day?
Or, rather, is this a function of DOAJ catching up on its
housekeeping, as it were?  A quick check of their site indicates
the latter (103 titles added in the past 30 days, but only six of
these show a launch date of 2009).  I ask not to throw cold water
on the data, but rather to better understand them.

A related question is how many of these journals are new
undertakings vs. how many are existing publications that have
merely switched business models.  This harkens back to the
content proliferation thread that unspooled on Liblicense last
week.  It took DOAJ just 16 months to grow from 3,000 to 4,000
titles.  How many of these 1,00 titles were new journals launched
in that time period?  I trust someone on the list can provide
those data.  1,000 new DOAJ-listed titles in a few years, two new
DOAJ-listed titles per day.  It would be fascinating to better
understand whether these are filling an information gap or
contributing to a glut.  I ask this as an OA agnostic.

Best, Greg

--
Greg Tananbaum
Consulting Services at the Intersection of Technology, Content, & Academia