Access to Paper of Record

Since Google's purchase of the digital archive "News of Record"
in December, I believe, researchers have not had access to its
contents. Google has not been terribly forthcoming as to when
this archive will become available, with the latest response on
January 28, 2009. Here is an excerpt:

"As you may already know, Google acquired paperofrecord.com
recently. We are currently working on the most effective way to
search and browse this valuable content. We're doing our best to
find a solution to include as much of the acquired content as
possible. This takes time, and we appreciate your patience. We're
constantly making improvements to ensure the best user
experience."

Does anyone have any news to share about a date of accessibility?
Although I can appreciate Google's pursuit of the "best user
experience," I find the lag (and I mean lag) of access to this
important archive and the lack of communication from Google about
its access to be concerning and perhaps foreshadows what future
access to Googlized content will be like.

Claudia Holland, MA, MLIS
oGeorge Mason University;University Libraries
chollan3@gmu.edu
Head, Copyright Resources Office