Re: "Accepted Manuscript"

Sandy Thatcher asks if he is the only one who worries about
confusion over the terminology used for article versions.  He is
not.

The use of "preprint" and "postprint" as shorthand makes no sense
historically, logically, or functionally.  Historically, it
ignores the scholarly conventions that have been in place at
least since the start of the 20th century and which distinguished
between manuscripts, preprints, offprints, and reprints (based
upon the peculiarities of printing processes).

Logically, it makes no sense to talk about a manuscript that has
not been typeset or printed as a "postprint."  Functionally, it
obscures the value that is added at each step of the publication
process.  It implies that the author's peer-reviewed manuscript
is the equivalent of the version as published, whereas most of
the faculty with whom I work consider a manuscript version to be
a poor substitute for the final version of their articles as
issued by the publisher.

Let's hope that OA advocates such as Sherpa/RoMEO and Peter Suber
soon adopt a more nuanced approach.  I would think either the 5
versions of an article identified in the VERSIONS project or the
7 versions in the NISO/ALPSP standard would be preferable - at
least until we have evidence that the differences between these
versions are trivial.

Peter B. Hirtle
Senior Policy Advisor
Scholarly Resources and Special Collections
Cornell University Library
221 Olin Library
Ithaca, NY  14853
peter.hirtle@cornell.edu