Re: "Accepted Manuscript"

Which is exactly why I worry about initiatives like Harvard's and
MIT's. Many people who are not familiar with the terminology or
the practices that are now being pursued will wrongly assume that
the posted version is the same as the published one and will rely
on it when citing it in further scholarship, repeating errors
that might have been caught in the copyediting or quoting
material that was later edited to be more clearly expressed. This
can really hurt scholarship as much as it helps dissemination.
There is a tradeoff here. Am I the only one who worries about
this?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press