UKSG TRANSFER Code of Practice Update

With apologies for cross-posting.  Below is a press release with
an update on the UKSG TRANSFER Code of Practice - twenty
publishers with 8,000 journals have now endorsed the Code which
was released at the end of 2008.  This is a good start but we
want to get more publishers to endorse the Code so we are
encouraging libraries to exert some (friendly) pressure.
Regards, Ed Pentz

Oxford, UK - 24 March 2009. UKSG is pleased to announce that 20
publishers have now signed up to its TRANSFER Code of Practice,
which provides best practice guidelines and outlines
responsibilities to ensure that journal content remains easily
accessible in the event of a change of ownership. This means that
library and reader access to over 8,000 journals will now be
protected in transfers between publisher signatories.

Major signatories to the code include Elsevier, Nature and Wiley,
but it is equally appropriate to smaller publishers - those
signed up so far include the American Diabetes Association,
Earthscan and the Rural Sociological Society. UKSG's objective is
to persuade all publishers of the importance and value of
endorsing the TRANSFER code.

"Librarians must be increasingly rigorous in assessing the merits
of journals and journals packages for renewal or purchase," said
Joan Emmet, NERL Program Librarian. "TRANSFER endorsement is a
signal that a publisher understands its customers' needs and is
committed to providing a good level of service even in complex
circumstances. By implementing standards of practice for the
treatment of transfer titles, the job of keeping track of these
titles becomes easier both for publisher and customer. The
publisher who puts the code into practice will help set apart a
journal/journals package when we are reviewing our collections."

The TRANSFER Code of Practice was developed by a cross-party
working group to resolve problems encountered by subscribers when
journals move from one publisher to another. Many critical
issues, such as continuity of access during a transfer or
perpetual ongoing access to archives, were previously a grey area
in journal sale agreements; this resulted in frustration for end
users and librarians as key e-journals became temporarily or even
permanently unavailable despite licence terms.

"The TRANSFER code has been extensively fine-tuned to balance the
interests of its multiple stakeholders," said Ed Pentz, TRANSFER
Working Group Chair. "Libraries and their users benefit from
minimal disruption during a transfer - and publishers benefit
from the simplified workflow and associated reduction in costs of
a standardised process. We've also taken great care to protect
publishers' competitive interests. The overall success of the
Code depends on widespread adoption by publishers so we hope that
many more will soon show their support for their customers by
signing up."

For more information, and to sign up to the TRANSFER Code, visit

http://www.uksg.org/transfer

or drop by the UKSG Projects stand (85) at the UKSG exhibition in
Torquay, UK from 31st March to 2nd April 2009.

For more information, contact:

Ed Pentz
Chair, TRANSFER Working Group
epentz@crossref.org