RE: Another Winning Article From OA's Chronicler

Sorry, Richard Poynder makes a fundamental error in his taxonomy
of Green and Gold OA.  He defines the OA universe narrowly, finds
some narrow examples, then proclaims that small cabin the Empire
of All Things.

The real thrust of the world of open access is neither green nor
gold, but what I have termed "unwashed," that is, the vast and
growing--and growing and growing and growing--world of material
that is not peer-reviewed.  Take Poynder's own article, for
example, or posts to this list.  Look at the material that is
accumulating in IRs, arXiv, and elsewhere; think about all the
blogs and Twitter feeds.

The evidence is mounting that many advocates of open access have
never actually used the Internet.  The myth persists that OA
publishing is just like traditional publishing except that it is
free to the user.  While there are some segments of OA that are
just that, it is a shrinking part of the open access material
that is being generated.  And it is minuscule compared to what we
will see in the years to come.

This doesn't mean peer review is going away.  It simply means
that peer review is evolving to conform to the characteristics of
the online medium, just as the novel grew with the printed page
and tennis is a game played around a net.  Increasingly peer
review will be post-publication, not pre-publication.  I suspect
all this talk about Gold and Green is a waste of everybody's
time.

Joe Esposito