Re: OA in Legal Publishing: Durham Statement on Open Access to Legal Scholarship

Dear Listserve:

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I'd like to provide a few
words in support of the expansive use of the term "open access"
adopted in the Durham Statement.  The phrase is powerful
marketing.

About a year and a half ago, I was shopping an article to various
law journals.  One of the questions I asked when evaluating
offers was whether a particular journal offered "Open Access
Principles."  Creative Commons and Science Commons had within the
past year or so announced a new initiative (with the flashy title
"Open Access") that encouraged journals to allow their authors
latitude to publish in electronic repositories.  Perhaps not
coincidentally, one of the first journals to adopt the initiative
was the Duke Law Journal.

The terms of the initiative, and giving the initiative the title
"Open Access Principles," flipped the negotiation process.
Instead of entering into an adversarial negotiation for future
use of my article, as was common in the past, all of the journals
I spoke to welcomed immediate third-party electronic publishing,
and gave me free reign to republish the article in other print
journals or a book within a year.

I anticipate the Durham Statement will have a similar effect.
There still remains a sizable minority of legal journals --
perhaps 30-40% -- who do not offer their articles at stable URLs
immediately upon publication.  At the risk of misrepresenting the
reasons for this, I suspect that many of the journals either
haven't developed their websites, or are delaying publication out
of deference to their print sales.

If I end up seeking publication in any of these journals, I will
be able to point to a specific initiative that has an attractive
name, and was adopted by the representatives of a number
prestigious universities.  We shouldn't underestimate how
powerful this is as a negotiation tool.  I anticipate that within
the next six months every journal will have adopted the terms of
the Durham Statement.

Thank you to all who developed and executed the Statement.

Best,

Shourin Sen