From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of jOHN cOX
Sent: 28 February 2009 00:36
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Elsevier plus LexusNexis: profits up for 2008, to over $1.5
billion U.S.

We need to be very careful with comments on the results of a
large company like Reed Elsevier.  It has four businesses:
Elsevier, LexisNexis, Reed Exhibitions and Reed Business
Information.  Not all the RE profit can be attributed to the
Elsevier segment, and not all of Elsevier's sales are made to
universities.  The growth in RE's profit is largely due to
cost-cutting within its businesses.  All this is apparent from
its web site.

RE is a well run company.  Its investors include our pension
funds and mutual funds.  My own pension fund has not invested in
RE.  I wish it had. Things are never quite as simple as postings
to this list might pretend.

John Cox
Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd