New Long-Term Preservation Agreement for Portico and INFORMS

NEWS RELEASE

INFORMS and Portico Announce Long-Term Preservation Agreement

HANOVER, MD, February 25, 2009 - The Institute for Operations
Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS(r)) today announced
that it has signed an agreement with Portico, the electronic
archiving service of Ithaka, Inc., to archive the association's
12 scholarly journals.

"This agreement and INFORMS' electronic archive assure our
subscribers that our journals will be available in perpetuity,"
says INFORMS Publications Director Patricia Shaffer. "Our
institutional subscribers can take heart that electronic copies
of our studies and journals will always be available, and that
print copies will not be the only certain archival source."

The agreement follows the association's 2008 introduction of the
INFORMS Journal Archive 1952-1997 for the association's
institutional subscribers. The INFORMS Archive provides academic
institutions with online access to 197 total volumes, 1,243
issues, over 15,000 articles, and 177,000 pages covering
operations research and its historical impact in its Journals
Archive.

The new INFORMS/Portico agreement provides additional assurance
to university and specialized libraries that INFORMS journals
will remain accessible in the future. Under the terms of the
agreement, the "dark archive" would provide access to INFORMS
journals under four circumstances:

1. if INFORMS is no longer in business

2. if a publication is no longer offered

3. if back issues are no longer available

4. if INFORMS stopped publishing or providing journal access for
more than 90 days.

INFORMS journals are strongly cited in their categories in
Journal Citation Reports, the industry source. The special MBA
issue published by BusinessWeek includes the flagship journals
Operations Research and Management Science and two other INFORMS
journals in its list of 20 top academic journals that are used to
evaluate business school programs. Financial Times includes five
INFORMS journals in its list of academic journals used to
evaluate MBA programs.

About INFORMS

The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
(INFORMS(r)) is an international scientific society with 10,000
members, including Nobel Prize laureates, dedicated to applying
scientific methods to help improve decision-making, management,
and operations. Members of INFORMS work in business, government,
and academia. They are represented in fields as diverse as
airlines, health care, law enforcement, the military, financial
engineering, and telecommunications. The INFORMS website is
www.informs.org <http://www.informs.org/> . More information
about operations research is at www.scienceofbetter.org.

Barry List
Director, Communications
Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300
Hanover, MD 21076
www.informs.org
Barry.List@INFORMS.ORG