From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Esposito
Sent: 19 February 2009 22:47
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: NIH issues

Scott,

"Slightly more than 60%" is pretty good.  It's more than Obama
got.  I expect to see my picture on a new government security.
The "Esposito" bond does not pay interest; it asserts it.

BTW, I share your interest (!) in Roberto Bolano.

Concerning your blog post, I just read it.  It's terrific and I
recommend it to anyone interested in this issue.  I am myself not
at all in the Heather Joseph camp on this one, but I don't know
if I am wholly or partly (60%?) on the Marty Frank side.  Let me
put this hypothetical to you.

A governmental agency (the NIH or anything else) says to a
researcher:  "We are prepared to grant you $500,000 to study
snails. As a condition of this grant, you are required to file a
detailed report of your research; a template for this report will
be provided to you.  That report will be placed on a Web server
managed by our agency.  Anyone can use this material any way they
wish for any purpose including commercial exploitation, provided
that they cite you, cite the agency, and don't change a word
without your permission.  You may also do anything you want with
this material, provided that you cite the agency.  You alone may
change the content."

Will the proposed bill allow for this hypothetical?

I am not asserting that this situation would be a desirable one;
that's for the agency to determine.  My question is what latitude
there would be under the law.

Joe Esposito