RE: NIH issues

As I read your hypothetical, the reporting requirements you
define don't meet the definition of "extrinsic work" so HR 801
wouldn't apply. Perhaps the most intriguing part of the bill is
that second definition of "extrinsic work" -- how do you measure
"meaningful added value" and are there circumstances under which
it rises to the level that justifies a copyright claim?  Kevin
argues that it doesn't, because it doesn't materially affect
expression, and he may be right.  But it seems to me that there
is still a value transfer that needs to be recognized or
justified in some fashion.

Here's the link if you want to take a look:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c111:./temp/~c1114iW6Lh

As for Bolano (and Ann can edit this out if I'm going too far
afield), I read 2666 during several weeks in January and found it
one of the greatest novels I've ever read, and I don't say that
lightly.  I'm halfway through Savage Detectives now, and while it
is not as vast and ambitious in scope, the quality of the
writing, imagination and characterizations is just as fantastic.

T. Scott Plutchak

Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
tscott@uab.edu
http://tscott.typepad.com
http://beardedpigs.net