RE: NIH issues

I suspect that Kevin is right on the strict limits of the
copyright issue.  The underlying dilemma remains -- is it "fair"
(and I use the term here in the colloquial, rather than the
technical, sense) for the government to take advantage of the
investment that publishers put into peer review, while
diminishing the value of the publishers' version of articles by
making competing copies freely available?  If it is reasonable,
what is the justification for it?  It's fine to say that
taxpayers have the right to easily get to the results of
government-funded research; on what basis do they also have the
right to the fruits of a peer review process that is managed by
non-governmental entities?

Incidentally, I wouldn't want to be misinterpreted as defending
or supporting HR 801.  Kevin's account of its genesis and likely
future is probably accurate. The point of my post was that it is
a gross mischaracterization to label it as simply "anti-open
access" when the underlying issues are more complex.

Scott

T. Scott Plutchak

Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
tscott@uab.edu
http://tscott.typepad.com
http://beardedpigs.net