RE: Darnton on the Google settlement

I'm afraid that much to Joe's exasperation, I'm sure, I still
don't get it. Why would any publisher object to Google digitising
books 'that literally will never be looked at'?  I really can't
see the potential loss or harm to the publisher there.  And if
Google wants to waste their money doing it then that's their
problem.

I really don't understand 'copyright-squatting' either.  It
sounds like one of those neologisms that are hysterical enough to
imply harm while vague enough to avoid having to define that
harm.  Technically, Google may be infringing the publishers''
copyrights (although this has never been tested and some felt
there was a fair use justification for what Google was doing),
but the idea that they are making copies available to users is
surely wrong - that right remained with the publishers.

But to help me determine the hurt to publishers, let me describe
a scenario. Publisher P has a distinguished history having
publisher 10,000 titles over the past 100 years.  Google comes
along and starts digitising these titles to allow searching
across the entire content.  Publisher P objects and says 'for the
8,000 titles where we know we own the rights we object', and so
Google takes the titles out of the programme.  For the 2,000
titles where the rights are confused Publisher P reluctantly
keeps quiet and Google includes the full-text in their search
engines.

Five years later the clever marketing people at Publisher P
discover a cunning way of making money from the back-list.  They
research the rights issues surrounding the 2,000 ambiguous titles
and discover that they own the rights to 1500 of them, the
remaining 500 have either past into the public domain or rest
with others (the authors or their descendants, say). Publisher P
writes to Google demanding the withdraw of the 1500 titles they
have now conclusively determined that they own, Google accedes to
the request, leaving 500 titles from Publisher P (but not owned
by the publisher) in Google and Publisher P goes on to implement
their cunning money-making scheme.

Under that scenario, what harm has Publisher P suffered?  It
investigated the rights issues when it wanted to (i.e., when it
had determined a market-driven reason to do so) and it has been
able to reap the benefits of the back-catalogue that it owns.
(Who knows, the presence of some of its titles in Google may even
have generated some print-on-demand sales as readers perform
searches over the full text, but let's leave that to one side!)
The advantage is surely that rather than Google having to
investigate the rights situation of 10,000 titles to get 500
titles included, the publisher has had to investigate the
situation of 2000 titles so as to withdraw 500 titles - and they
have only done so when faced with a market need.  What have I
missed?  Where is the harm?

David