RE: Darnton on the Google settlement

Certainly, I am being flippant.  But I do find the idea of a
cut-off rather depressing.  It sweeps into a fenced-off area of
control works that may be in the public domain, or where the
ownership can only be determined with great difficulty if at all,
or where if they knew the rights holders would be only to happy
to allow their works to be fully digitised.  So we all lose out
as we wait for the clock to tick down and for the deadline to
creep forward year-by-year.

But the opt-out option is much more interesting - I'm not going
to argue about the legalities of it all as they have been
rehashed over and over and also because I don't pretend to be an
expert in the matter.  But the concept!  The concept that we
include these works, but take them out if the rights holder
objects, that's much more exciting.  It brings more works into
the project, it respects the rights of the owners, and it allows
readers like me to find more titles that deal with topics of
interest.

If I can come down to earth with a sincere question: what can a
publisher do with a title in their list where they don't know who
owns the rights?

David