Re: OCLC's New License for Bibliographic Records

This has been an interesting discussion, but I think some of the
key issues are being missed:

-It is not (or should not be) about ownership of the records. The
last group of people who should be hoarding bib records and
preventing them from being part of the public information commons
are librarians, whether we think the subject headings warrant IP
protection or not. OCLC is supposed to be a collective of
libraries, and if they truly are, we should be ashamed of
ourselves. The Worldcat database should be part of the public
commons and if it is not, we should support projects that make it
so, such as OpenLIbrary. Getting sidetracked by a discussion of
the intricacies of data and IP is interesting, but misses the key
point with this critical issue.

-Many of us are working diligently with our faculty on open
access, institutional repositories and other projects top try and
transform the scholarly publishing space. The OCLC Worldcat
record policy is a perfect example of a case where we need to
walk the walk. How can we get faculty to commit to an open access
model when we go in the opposite direction for our own efforts,
as different as they may be? If ever there was a type of
information that should be part of the public commons it is the
bib records of the world.

-The innovation that will come from these records being freely
available via systems other than OCLC's Worldcat is immense. The
fact that OpenLibrary, as one example, has had the heavy hand of
OCLC hanging over them as they attempt to do what OCLC has
refused to do themselves points to poor leadership from the OCLC
Members.

As Rob suggested in his original post I think this is one license
all institutions should review carefully. In a recent session at
the OLA Superconference in Toronto last week I went one step
further and suggested that we reconsider our OCLC memberships if
this license policy approach does not change. Libraries, and by
extension their collaborative efforts like OCLC, need to set the
bar, not try to duck under it.

Mark Leggott, University Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Ave. Charlottetown, PE C1A 4P3
902-566-0460  Fax 902-628-4305
mleggott@upei.ca