RE: Darnton on the Google settlement

Thanks to Rick, Joe, and Sandy for highlighting the information
costs for rights holders of participating in the Google
settlement. I want to underscore the role of the Book Rights
Registry respecting these costs. The rights holders can use the
registry database to record all of the data necessary for making
decisions respecting their rights in this first transaction.
Because the registry can function as a rights organization, the
rights holders can then use the registry to make quick and
efficient licensing decisions in subsequent digitization
transactions, such as those with Google's competitors. Although
the rights holders are incurring very high information costs in
this initial transaction, those costs can be amortized over many
subsequent transactions. I think this demonstrates how the
registry, functioning as a rights organization, can reduce
information and transaction costs in this market, thereby
lowering barriers to entry. This should encourage Google's rivals
to enter the market for digitizing in-copyright and out-of-print
books, increasing competition and benefiting consumers.

Robert Richards

Robert C. Richards, Jr., J.D.*, M.S.L.I.S., M.A.
Philadelphia, PA
richards1000@comcast.net
* Member New York bar, retired status.