Re: OCLC's New License for Bibliographic Records

My understanding is that if you created the bib record and
contributed it to OCLC then your institution and OCLC both own
the record.  Therefore, the original cataloging that your
institution contributes to OCLC still belongs to you and you can
disseminate it other non-OCLC union catalog type institutions.

I think that OCLC recently copyrighted their entire database, for
the added value that they contribute via authorities and other
updating that they do with various algorithms.  So no, I don't
think that any of these records are in the public domain.

But maybe I'm wrong and I'm misunderstanding it.

Jennifer Palmisano
Catalog Maintenance Librarian
Center for Jewish History
New York, NY 10011