RE: OCLC's New License for Bibliographic Records

Bernie: I think , but am not certain that the "rest" of the
paragraph suggests the possibility of negotiating separately with
OCLC on the policy:

"This Policy shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance
with the laws of the State of Ohio and the United States of
America, without regard to principles of conflict of laws, except
(i) as otherwise provided in a separate agreement with OCLC which
incorporates this Policy; or (ii) as otherwise required by
applicable law."

The guidelines I work with call for venue to be North Carolina,
or to remain silent on venue. It's an either or as far as I can
tell. ii above as you suggest might let us squeak through. I'd
have to ask legal counsel. I'm not sure what "without regard to
principles of conflict of laws"  means in this context

And I'm not sure I can give intellectual content created by the
University to OCLC to control. I'm pretty sure I'm not permitted
to do that. Isn't that what the license is doing ultimately,
making OCLC policies the controlling point for intellectual
property created by universities--or am I misunderstanding the
intent?

If a scholar creates a bibliography modifying OCLC records,
(cleaning up the bibliographic fine points but perhaps citing
holdings) does this policy mean that to publish it the researcher
has to get OCLC's permission?

Chuck