Darnton on the Google settlement

On Sunday Sandy Thatcher wrote some quick observations on
Rick's observations amongst them:

"if the commercial sector had not stepped in to support the rapid
growth of science in the wake of WW II, we would all be a lot
poorer for it in terms of available resources"

Very true.

May I add another historical fact and that is that the commercial
sector changed science from being nationalistic to
be truely international after WW II.

One of the sad effects of open access is that we
can see a trend back to nationalism and even back
to atomism (IRs).

Jan

--=20
Opinions expressed here are my own and not
those of the Gothenburg University Library

Jan Szczepanski
F=F6rste bibliotekarie
Goteborgs universitetsbibliotek
Box 222
SE 405 30 Goteborg, SWEDEN
Tel: +46 31 7861164 Fax: +46 31 163797
E-mail: Jan.Szczepanski@ub.gu.se

---2071850956-1275441841-1233119237=:26576--