RE: Darnton on the Google settlement

Three quick observations on Rick's observations:

1) I must demur somewhat on Rick's claim that "Google elected to
    absorb effectively all of the up-front costs and labor
    involved in this remarkable project." There is, alas, a very
    significant amount of labor involved for publishers to
    investigate what digital rights they have in the books Google
    has digitized and to negotiate with authors over display and
    other types of rights they share under the settlement. This is
    hardly just a "free ride" for publishers. And I suppose
    librarians from the participating libraries would point to the
    significant labor involved in making books available to Google
    for digitization.

2) Google's investment of $125 million is trivial when compared
    with (a) the costs that would have been incurred in pursuing
    the suit all the way to resolution in the courts and (b) the
    37% royalty that Google will receive as its share of all
    revenues derived from fee-based uses under the settlement,
    which vastly exceeds the normal royalty that authors receive
    from publishing their books--and Google has, remember, not
    contributed any content at all itself, just the technology.

3) Rick's reminder to librarians that this settlement provides a
    great deal more access to more books than people have ever had
    before makes me think that the same could be said about the
    whole STM publishing industry. Librarians like to complain
    about "locked up" content, high prices, etc., but the reality
    is that if the commercial sector had not stepped in to support
    the rapid growth of science in the wake of WW II, we would all
    be a lot poorer for it in terms of available resources.
    Universities had the infrastructure already in place, through
    university presses, to take on this task, but chose not to do
    so, and they have continued to underinvest in their presses,
    allowing well-capitalized commercial companies to take
    advantage of new opportunities when they arise much more
    quickly and adeptly than university presses are able to do.
    So, it strikes me that, as with Google taking the lead in
    digitization of books, universities opted not to make the
    investments necessary to dominate this business themselves and
    control it in their own best interests. Do we have anyone to
    blame but ourselves if the commercial sector is always one
    step ahead in exploiting intellectual property for its benefit
    rather than the public good?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press