Re: STM Publisher Briefing on Institution Repository Deposit Mandates

Just briefly, in reply, I don't imagine that scholars write their
books differently from the way they write their articles, so
evidence of sloppy writing in books should provide some basis for
making assertions about scholarly writing in general. Peer
reviewers miss many substantive errors in book manuscripts. Is
there evidence to show that they read journal articles more
carefully?

As for what is "substantive," surely having the text and the
equations not "say the same thing" should qualify as
"substantive," as should also getting "the sums and averages [in
tables] wrong." And why shouldn't misquoting someone be a
"substantive" error, especially if one builds a particular
interpretation upon that misquotation?

Once Harvard begins posting its faculty's articles in its
repository, the whole world will have an opportunity to see just
how much of that pre-copyedited writing contains "substantive"
errors.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press