RE: ALA Panel on Perpetual Access--running a LOCKSS box

Folks,

A colleague pointed me to this thread--specifically, to the
comments about the resources required to run LOCKSS
(http://www.lockss.org/).

The Auburn University Libraries run three LOCKSS boxes: two for
private LOCKSS networks (that is, smaller LOCKSS networks for
harvesting and preserving locally created digital content), and
one for the regular LOCKSS network that harvests and preserves
access to e-journals--what this thread is about.  We've found
that setting up and running a LOCKSS box is pretty simple and not
at all time-consuming or resource-intensive.  I'm guessing our
systems administrator spends, on average, 1-2 hours a week
managing all three boxes.  And that estimate is probably on the
high side.  Also, LOCKSS runs on inexpensive hardware.  We used
an old beige Compaq desktop computer that was destined for the
surplus pool for the regular LOCKSS network for several years.
It did just fine.

As for small institutions: Spring Hill College is a very small
(1,100 students) liberal-arts college in Mobile, Alabama.  It's
also a full-fledged member of the Alabama Digital Preservation
Network (ADPNet: http://adpn.org/), a private LOCKSS network for
the state of Alabama. The lone sysadmin at Spring Hill has found
that running his college's ADPNet LOCKSS box is one of the less
time-consuming jobs on his very full docket.

In our experience, running a regular LOCKSS box for preserving
access to our e-journals has been simple and cheap.  Setting up a
private LOCKSS network with other libraries and archives in
Alabama to preserve our own digital collections was more
complicated, but also not too bad (the main issues were
administrative, not technical).  Please feel free to contact me
off-list at trehuaj@auburn.edu if you'd like more info.

Best,

Aaron Trehub
Assistant Dean for Library Technology