From: Peter Saugman [mailto:peter@saugman.fsnet.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 4:05 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Anyone Have Data ~ Eroding of Brands - International Editions

Dear Ms Baskin,

Though now retired, I ran medical publishing at Blackwell for
many years. This period included the time when the opportunity to
sell translated editions outside Anglophone markets, for
distribution via industry became a viable ambition both on behalf
of the titles we owned, and those we published on behalf of
learned societies. We thought of ourselves as among the early
adopters and market leaders in developing this revenue stream and
business strategy, yet I never heard the point you are raising
suggested.

I very much doubt that there would be formal data suggesting the
erosion of your brand. Indeed, we always took the view that this
particular product-type, where the relationship with sponsor and
the physical appearance of the translation were properly and
actively managed, jointly with the copyright holder, could only
enhance brand penetration of the parent journal in the markets
where the translations appeared.

The institutions and individuals actively involved in generating
research at or near the level of your own content, would still,
in any event, tend to rely on the original, and it is among these
groups that brand awareness matters.

My experience of the use of such translations was that they were
distributed to individuals who might neither seek nor need
regular access to, nor necessarily fully understand, the text in
English. By extension, this group are unlikley to be fully aware
of your brand, nor would exposure to a translation erode any
brand awareness.

Yours sincerely

Peter Saugman