RE: "Giveaways" and "corners" (RE: Libraries criticized for role in

Google Book Search)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:02:09 EST
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

I was told by the librarian of one of the Google scanning participants that the
exclusivity agreement is time-bound and expires in 25 years.  From those of us
lying in the gutter of personal mortality this seems a long time, but from the
perspective of a library that has been serving scholars longer than the
printing press it seemed like the blink of an eye because (a) the source
material at the library is no less available than before scanning, and (b) left
to their own resources the library would have taken more than 25 years to do
the job.

Tony McSean
+44 20 7502 1067
+44  7946 291780