RE: Libraries criticized for role in Google Book Search

[MOD. Note:  two messages from Scott are combined here]

I first heard Siva raise this issue at a talk he gave in Atlanta
several years and I think it's valid.  Librarians have long
viewed our role (along with our colleagues in archives and
museums) as preserving, protecting and transmitting our
intellectual cultural heritage.  There is an argument to be made
that we're losing track of that role and that turning it over to
a commercial entity which is ultimately subject to commercial
pressures, is something that hasn't gotten enough scrutiny and
careful thought.

****

As a follow-up to my note responding to Bernie's question
regarding Siva Vaidhyanathan and the Google books project, a note
on the Inside Google Book Search blog this morning announces that
they are discontinuing "Google Catalog Search" because it "hasn't
been as popular as some of our other products."
(http://booksearch.blogspot.com/2009/01/farewell-google-catalog-search.html)

This is a perfectly reasonable business decision for them to
make, but it also highlights the way they look at things - they
produce products and they will initiate and discontinue products
depending on how well they fit their ever-evolving business
priorities.  This is exactly what a business ought to do.  But it
seems obvious to me that, as a society, we need to base our
decisions about the "preservation, protection and transmission of
our cultural heritage" (as I put it in my previous note) on more
than the business priorities of one particular company.

Scott

T. Scott Plutchak

Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
tscott@uab.edu