Re: Open Access: No Benefit for Poor Scientists

On 14-Jan-09, at 4:25 PM, Phil Davis wrote:

> Open Access has a moral agenda: to increase the flow of
> scientific information to researchers in developing nations.
> Yet a new study suggests that authors in developing countries are
> no more likely to write papers for Open Access journals and are
> no more likely to cite Open Access articles.
>
> full article at:
> http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2009/01/14/oa-developing-nations/

Comparing OA/non-OA in Developing Countries
[Fully hyperlinked version: http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/509-guid.html]

"[A]n investigation of the use of open access by researchers from
developing countries... show[s] that open access journals are not
characterised by a different composition of authors than the
traditional toll access journals... [A]uthors from developing
countries do not citeopen access more than authors from developed
countries... [A]uthors from developing countries are not more
attracted to open access than authors from developed countries.
[underscoring added]"(Frandsen 2009, J. Doc. 65(1))  (See also
"Open Access: No Benefit for Poor Scientists")

Open Access is not the same thing as Open Access Journals.

Articles published in conventional non-Open-Access journals can
also be made Open Access (OA) by their authors -- by
self-archiving them in their own Institutional Repositories.

The Frandsen study focused on OA journals, not on OA articles. It
is problematic to compare OA and non-OA journals, because
journals differ in quality and content, and OA journals tend to
be newer and fewer than non-OA journals (and often not at the top
of the quality hierarchy).

Some studies have reported that OA journals are cited more, but
because of the problem of equating journals, these findings are
limited. In contrast, most studies that have compared OA and
non-OA articles within the same journal and year have found a
significant citation advantage for OA. It is highly unlikely that
this is only a developed-world effect; indeed it is almost
certain that a goodly portion of OA's enhanced access, usage and
impact comes from developing-world users.

It is unsurprising that developing world authors are hesitant
about publishing in OA journals, as they are the least able to
pay author/ institution publishing fees (if any). It is also
unsurprising that there is no significant shift in citations
toward OA journals in preference to non-OA journals (whether in
the developing or developed world): Accessibility is a necessary
-- not a sufficient -- condition for usage and citation: The
other necessary condition isquality. Hence it was to be expected
that the OA Advantage would affect the top quality research most.
That's where the proportion of OA journals is lowest.

The Seglen effect ("skewness of science") is that the top 20% of
articles tend to receive 80% of the citations. This is why the OA
Advantage is more detectable by comparing OA and non-OA articles
within the same journal, rather than by comparing OA and non-OA
journals.

We will soon be reporting results showing that the within-journal
OA Advantage is higher in "higher-impact" (i.e., more cited)
journals. Although citations are not identical with quality, they
do correlate with quality (when comparing like with like). So an
easy way to understand the OA Advantage is as a quality advantage
-- with OA "levelling the playing field" by allowing authors to
select which papers to cite on the basis of their quality,
unconstrained by their accessibility. This effect should be
especially strong in the developing world, where
access-deprivation is greatest. -- Stevan Harnad