Re: perpetual electronic access rights for a society's journal hosted by a commercial publisher

Dear Diana,

While HighWire Press does not set the long term access policies
for the publications we host, we do take our role as online
custodian seriously. We encourage publishers to engage in
third-party archiving solutions. As an example, most
HighWire-affiliated publishers participate in the LOCKSS Program
for e-content preservation [http://www.lockss.org]. For more
information about HighWire's policies in this regard, please see:
http://highwire.stanford.edu/institutions/archiving.dtl

One other note -- many publishers ensure wide spread access by
setting free content policies which benefits the larger research
community. Specific policies vary by publisher, but about 250
sites offer free back issues and about 45 sites are completely
free online. You can see the listing here:
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Hope this helps,

Bonnie Zavon
Public Relations