From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Diana Ryan
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 2:24 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: perpetual electronic access rights for a society's journal
hosted by a commercial publisher

Hello,

My library is in the process of identifying journal holdings in
our print collection which might be replaced by electronic access
either by our purchasing electronic backfiles or through a
trusted third party like NLM's PubMedCentral or emerging
preservation coalitions.  We've developed a number of criteria
which must be met before we consider such a replacement and
perpetual access is a very important one.

I've come across a title, Academic Radiology, whose future
electronic availability is not clear to us.  AR is published by
the Association of University Radiologists, however it is hosted
on the ScienceDirect platform. Does its availability on the SD
platform guarantee perpetual access as if it were one of
Elsevier's own journals?  Is this one of the terms in the license
agreement between associations and commercial publishers who
offer perpetual access?  How do journals hosted by Highwire fit
into this picture?

Any insight or information about policy related to this issue is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Diana Ryan, MLS
Director of Collection Management