STM Publisher Briefing on Institution Repository Deposit Mandates

Two members of STM have kindly, at my request, allowed me to see a
copy of the STM Briefing on IRs and Deposit Mandates. I focused the
commentary below on quoted excerpts, but before posting it I asked
STM CEO Michael Mabe for permission to include the quotes. As I do
not yet have an answer, I am posting the commentary with paraphrases
of the passages I had hoped to quote. If I receive permission from
Michael, I will re-post this with the verbatim quotes. As it stands,
it is self-contained and self-explanatory.

Full hyperlinked version of the posting:
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/507-guid.html

The International Association of Scientific, Technical and
Medical Publishers (STM) has circulated a fairly anodyne briefing
to its member publishers. Although it contains a few familiar
items of misinformation that need to be corrected (yet again),
there is nothing alarming or subversive in it, along the lines of
the PRISM/pit-bull misadventure of 2007.

Below are some quote/comments along with the (gentle) corrections
of the persistent bits of misinformation: My responses are
unavoidably -- almost ritually -- repetitive, because the errors
and misinformation themselves are so repetitive.

STM BRIEFING DOCUMENT (FOR PUBLISHING EXECUTIVES) ON
INSTITUTIONAL REPOSITORIES AND MANDATED DEPOSIT POLICIES

[MOD. Note:  See URL above for the full text]