From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu On Behalf Of B.G. Sloan [bgsloan2@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 7:33 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Olivia Judson

Joe Esposito said:

"But, Bernie, the researcher shouldn't have to do this.  The
system should do it. The mark of a well-designed car is that the
owner/driver never, ever opens the hood."

The point is well-taken regarding cars. I've never once popped
open the hood of my 2005 Honda Accord, and I'm happy with that.
But I'm not sure it applies to scholarly communication.

I think a researcher should WANT to have control over how their
files (paper or electronic) are named and organized. Everyone has
their own idiosyncracies when it comes to personal information
management, so there's no one-size-fits-all solution. A solution
that works for some will certainly confuse others.

Maybe there's room for a personal information management system
for scholars that allows researchers to define how downloaded
files should be named and organized...something that allows the
"driver" to specify how things should work "under the hood"? (For
all I don't know, there may already be software that does this.)

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates
Bloomington, IN