Re: Olivia Judson

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Joseph J. Esposito
<espositoj@gmail.com>wrote:

>But, Bernie, the researcher shouldn't have to do this.

Perhaps, if we were in a world where reasearchers are the ideal, or even a
customer.

>  The system should do it.

The system offering the file gives the file a perfectly
understandable name - to that system. What is the incentive to
name it something else?

> The mark of a well-designed car is that the owner/driver never,
> ever opens the hood.

Car manufacturing would seem to be a broken system at the moment.
Aside from that, most recent cars are not user servicable, even
though the hood gives the appearance of opening.

My intention is not to be snarky. I have a problem with this idea
that these problems are easily solved and that there are clear
parties at fault. The evidence is that it is a tangled mess, with
few incentives to change, many dis-incentives to change, and
groups such as researchers who rely on outputs they have no
control over.

Jim Law
LiquidPub Project
<http://project.liquidpub.org/>