Re: Olivia Judson

Olivia Judson's 12/16 NY Times blog seems rather uninformed. Her
big gripe seems to be the naming conventions used for PDF files:

"The journal articles arrive with file names like 456330a.pdf or
sd-article121.pdf. Keeping track of what these are, what I have,
where I've put them, which other papers are related to them, is
hopeless. Attempting to replicate my old way of doing things, but
on my computer - so, electronic versions of papers in electronic
folders - didn't work, I think because I couldn't see what the
papers actually were."

As a number of commenters on her blog pointed out, she easily
could have renamed the PDF files as she downloaded them so that
the file names indicated author/title information. This would
have solved her problem of not knowing "what the papers actually
were".

For someone with such great intellectual/scientific curiosity,
Judson seems surprisingly unimaginative when it comes to
scholarly communication.

Bernie Sloan
Sora Associates
Bloomington, IN