Re: Library Journal editorial about the Google Book Search settlement

Not to be churlish, but what did people expect? Google, after
all, is a business, not--despite its early cloaking of itself in
the mantle of moral goodness--an eleemosynary institution.
Libraries have the option of undertaking all the digitizing of
books themselves, with the concomitant costs and legal risks, but
everyone realizes that this would be a monumental task taking
many, many years, probably decades. Google is offering a quick
solution on a scale not even a consortium of libraries can
undertake in today's constrained economic climate, so it has
every right to determine on what terms it will make its digitized
products available.  Buyers can take it or leave it, but my guess
is that, with other options nonexistent currently, most will grin
and bear it and sign on the dotted line.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press