RE: Should university presses adopt an OA model for all their books

Irving's eloquent cri de coeur is on target. The history of
university press publishing over the past few decades has been
one continuing effort to cut costs, as markets (especially the
library market) shrink. Hence one seldom finds these days the
kind of rigorous proofreading that was standard in the past.
Among publishers generally, university presses have tried to hold
the line on quality as best they can, but cost pressures have
forced us all to make compromises. It is in this context that I
find it appalling that there seems to be such ready acceptance
among OA advocates for posting of articles that have not gone
through any editing process at all. This is one sure way to
downgrade standards even more and accept second-rate writing as
the best we can afford.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press