Re: Google v. the Web?

It is precisely to answer this kind of question, Michael, that we
set up our "open access" monograph publishing experiment in
Romance Studies through our Office of Digital Scholarly Published
operated jointly with the Penn State Libraries:
http://www.romancestudies.psu.edu. Now these are true monographs,
and hence a better test of the proposition than a book like
Boyle's (or Larry Lessig's recent books, which have also been
available OA). High-profile books like those are likely to have
good sales in the marketplace whether or not they are available
OA--though one must remember that Stephen King considered his
experiment in OA publishing a few years back a dismal failure,
when he asked people to pay voluntarily for their downloads of
his novel "Riding the Bullet":
http://www.stephenkingshop.com/books/king/books/RidingtheBullet2000.htm.
Early results from our experiment do not show much difference in
sales from what we experienced with the monographs in print form
only. So far, so good--but it is still early in this experiment,
and until we have a few more years' worth of data, we can't come
to any hard conclusions. We are trying to track expenses very,
very carefully so that we know how much cheaper (if at all) it is
to publish in this fashion than in the traditional way. My guess
is that the savings will be minimal, mainly achieved through such
devices as using a template design (which, of course, could also
have been used for the series when it was print only, but
wasn't).

Sandy Thatcher