RE: Should university presses adopt an OA model for all of their scholarly books?

That may be one difference between commercial publishers and
university presses, as publishers of journals: the latter usually
do NOT pay the costs of the editorial office or the salaries of
managing editor and editorial assistant, nor do they pay for peer
review other than the costs associated with maintaining a
software system that the journal editors can use to conduct the
peer-review process. So, to the extent that universities continue
to be willing to subsidize those costs, they do not fall due on
the presses' balance sheets. Nawin's figures are useful, though,
in revealing what the true total costs may be for journal
publishing, no matter how those costs may be paid for any given
journal.

Sandy Thatcher