From: Nawin Gupta <nawin.gupta@comcast.net>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Sent: Monday, December 1, 2008 4:51:26 PM
Subject: RE: Should university presses adopt an OA model for all of their scholarly books?

Here is an approximation of costs for purposes of this
discussion:

Managing Editor - ranging from half-time to full-time with an
editorial assistant - $30,000 to $100,000

Editorial Office - $5,000 to $25,000

Editorial Processing, from acceptance to ready for publishing in
print and online, including copy-editing and peer review system -
~ $100/page; ranging from $40,000 (for a quarterly journal with
100 editorial pages per issue) to $200,000 for around 2,000
editorial pages

Online publishing and the 3 P's associated with printed journal
would be additional to the above, as would be sales/marketing.

One could argue that these costs are on the high end, but I have
a feeling that the average for the university presses lies
somewhere between $15,000 and the example above.

Nawin Gupta