Re: Scholarly Publishing Costs at University Presses

Marketing costs are included in this amount, Joe. We outsource
circulation of our print journals to the Johns Hopkins Press, which
does some of the marketing for us, but we also take advantage of the
synergies between our book and journal programs (since we don't
publish journals unless they connect with our book publishing areas
of concentration) to market directly to academics in these fields
through conference exhibits, direct-mail fliers, and the like.
Because we piggyback the journal advertising on the book promotion,
it costs us far less than it would for a university press that
publishes at least some journals in fields where it has no book
publishing concentration. Of course, we also do exchange ads with
other journals, which involves only labor time.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press