Re: Should university presses adopt an OA model for all of their scholarly books?

I'm glad Dr. Greco has found some of my comments helpful and will
make revisions of the paper. As I noted in my posting, this
article deserves a fuller discussion than can be given in a short
posting to this listserv, and I plan to devote one of my
forthcoming columns in Against the Grain to offering a fuller
critique. But just on the point about licensing translations,
this is unnecessary at least as far as developing nations are
concerned as Berne and other international copyright conventions
already provide a compulsory licensing scheme for this purpose.
See this for one discussion:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nkrGLRvKWpwC&pg=PA194&lpg=PA194&dq=compulsory+licensing+translations+rights+for+developing+countries&source=web&ots=QnfC2AOGT1&sig=m_absq4tZ-xKp25vM3xUX8afVMw&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA189,M1

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press