From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Sandy Thatcher
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 9:47 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Should university presses adopt an OA model for all of their
scholarly books?

My own recent back-of-the-envelope calculations showed that it
would cost universities a total of $14 million annually to
publish all university press journals and $200 million to publish
all university press books annually as open access. This is based
on the assumption that the average annual cost of publishing a
journal in humanities and social sciences in university presses
is $15,000 and that presses account for roughly 700 journals
overall, and that the average cost of publishing a monograph is
$20,000 and that the annual output of presses collectively is
10,000 titles. These figures, of course, exclude all costs
associated with printing, binding, and shipping physical copies,
including warehousing. (Those costs constitute roughly 30% of the
overall cost of publishing a monograph.) If POD is provided,
there would of course be some income stream generated to offset
those costs, but also some extra costs coming from the
manufacturing and distribution of the POD copies. But when you
think that even without generating any income, all the output of
university presses, both journals and books, could be made OA for
a total annual cost of about $214 million, that seems like a
possibly wise investment--especially when you consider that this
amount probably is less than the total of annual salaries for
Division 1 football coaches! And if this cost were shared equally
among all 3,000 American colleges, it would amount to less than
$72,000 per university annually, a piddling amount. If the
Carnegie classification were used as a basis for charging
universities proportionate fees according to FTE student or
faculty count, most colleges would pay far less than this.

So, do I hear a motion for funding university press operations so
that all of our output could be made available OA--and we can
stop arguing about copyright?

P.S. Maybe have Google contribute its $125 million to this goal
instead of paying legal fees and startup costs of the Book Rights
Registry for the settlement?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press