Re: Bioline International Call for Support

Thank you, David, for raising your questions and concerns about
the call for support from Bioline International (BI). I gathered
from your questions that we perhaps did not word our message as
clearly as we might have. We are not starting up new "niche
journals", nor are we bundling the journals on our system for
subscription purpose, as all the journals on our site are freely
available.  So I would like to invite you to visit our web site
and to find out more about the 70 journals hosted on our system:

http://www.bioline.org.br/journals
http://www.bioline.org.br/info?id=bioline&doc=about

All the journals are peer-reviewed with each journal having its
own editorial practices.  It is true that many draw their
editorial board members and reviewers primarily from their
regions, and garnering more international exposure is one of the
objectives of Bioline.  BI is not a publisher, but an open access
and dissemination platform for bioscience journals from
developing countries that do not have their own infrastructure
due to cost and technical barriers. The goal is to assist them
with online presence in order to improve their visibility and
their uptake, and to ensure that their content are indexed in
mainstream as well as regional databases (such as African Index
Medicus).  We have been very successful in this regard and now we
have a waiting list of 70 journals from various part of the
developing world wanting to be part of the collection. As we do
not charge the publishers any fee, we have been sustaining the
project through in-kind support, subsidies from my university and
small grants. We have one paid staff and all of us support the
project on a volunteer basis. We are appealing to the broader
community for support as we would like to increase the staff time
and technology support for the project and to expand the content.
Please visit the web site for details on how you could act as a
member or sponsor:

http://www.bioline.org.br/info?id=bioline&doc=support
http://www.bioline.org.br/BiolineBrochure.pdf

So why do we think it is important to support regional journals,
particularly those from the global South? Until recently,
knowledge production has been dominated by hegemonic practices
favoured by the powerful industrialized countries, resulting in
"mainstream" methods, theories and discourse styles considered by
western societies to be the international standards and hence the
hallmark of "quality". This system has been perpetuating itself
without much need for reflection.  The result is that the voices
and wisdom from other parts of the world that do not fit the
"international standards" are excluded and so they remain largely
invisible, and researchers the world over are all the poorer.  We
now live in an increasingly connected world, where events in one
part of the world can have immediate and direct consequences on
other part of the world, however remote they may seem. This is
true not only for the current global economic crisis, but for
emerging diseases, climate change, and a host of other
environmental and social issues that now bind all of us,
regardless of national or geographical boundaries. So it is not
at all for  "philanthropic" reason that BI operates, but for the
simple reason that "scientific findings do not belong to a
country but to the whole world", as my colleague Hernan Riquelme,
Editor of  the Chilean Journal of Agricultural Research noted.

http://www.bioline.org.br/info?id=bioline&doc=testimonials

Equally important is the fact that journals that publish results
of special relevance to their regions are of particular
importance for informing local policy making, health care
practices, food production methods, and other development related
issues that supposedly international journals do not always
adequately address.  Consider an article like this one:  "Post
traumatic stress disorder among former child soldiers attending a
rehabilitative service and primary school education in northern
Uganda."   African Health Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 3, 2008, pp.
136-141 (http://www.bioline.org.br/abstract?id=hs08030&lang=en)
Would the article above by a group of researchers from the Gulu
region of Uganda likely be published in a western medical
journal? Not likely I would surmise, given the "regional" nature
of the article and the fact that issues of relevance to the
developing world are rarely reported in subscription based
western medical journals.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1459140
If by a remote chance the above should be published in a paid
access journal, who in Uganda or other war torn regions would be
able to afford to access the article? Would the prestige of
publishing in an international journal outweigh the benefits of
having the article widely accessible to heath workers,
researchers, policy makers and the public at large?   I would not
indulge in a long-winded discussion about the importance of
supporting local journals and the importance of open access.
Instead please refer to the following pieces:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19926645.000-comment-the-developing-world-needs-its-own-science-journals.html

http://www.nature.com/embor/journal/v8/n2/full/7400906.html

http://www.scidev.net/en/opinions/regional-journals-can-boost-science-capacity.html

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/handle/1807/4255

I truly appreciate the time you have taken to write about Bioline
and I hope I have been able not only to clarify the nature of the
project and its goals, but also convince you of the merits of
joining Bioline International.

Best wishes
Leslie Chan