RE: Interesting analysis of Google/publisher/author settlement

Publishing contracts typically define what "out of print" means,
and though definitions may differ from one contract to another,
they all provide a process for reversion, so that if an author
takes the affirmative step of requesting the publisher to do a
new printing and the publisher does not do so within a time
period defined by the contract, then the publisher is obliged to
revert the rights to the author. The situation the bookseller was
describing is, in the industry, usually called temporarily or
indefinitely out of stock. It may be that some publishers use
this as a ruse for making it appear that a decision has not been
made to declare the book out of print, but publishing contracts
provide procedures for authors to call the publisher's bluff, if
that is what it is.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press