RE: warranty of non-infringement and indemnification against claims

I have to say that I am a bit disturbed by this thread and fully
agree with Karl's point of view.  The common ground is that a
publisher who intends to allow perpetual access to libraries can
do so for payment of a single fee (purchase) that includes
perpetual royalty free access (license).  In this instance, the
content would be stored locally by each purchasing library, but
they cannot "own" it; it is not intellectual property of their
creation.

Without a license aren't we creating a situation where a
publisher cannot enforce its copyright and where that publisher
could be further exposed to damages in the event where
unauthorized alteration of the content results in a claim of
libel or malpractice?  At minimum I would recommend bundling a
Creative Commons license along with the "purchase".

We do have to take responsibility for the content we create just
like we do with regard to our own children.

I acknowledge that negotiations can be difficult - just like
children - but please do not that reason diminish the ability of
other publishers, by way of precedent, to fully claim and enforce
their own intellectual property rights.

Toby Leith
Content Licensing Manager
The Boston Globe
___________________________

>From <Toby.GREEN@oecd.org>
To <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Subject RE: warranty of non-infringement and indemnification
against claims

Karl,

In the case of some publishers (including ourselves) libraries
are purchasing online content (perpetual access), not leasing it.
Therefore, are you suggesting that in cases like this the
parallel with the print purchase is true and therefore a license
is unnecessary? I would welcome such a situation. Negotiating
licenses is time-consuming and costly for librarians and
publishers - and I would love to see this cost removed from the
equation. For us, the risk that a rogue librarian is going to
broadcast our content openly is remote and represents no greater
a threat than print pirates ever did. So, our default position
has always been to sell online subscriptions without licenses.

Toby Green
OECD Publishing