RE: How many (peer reveiwed) journals are there?

A surprisingly large number of subscription journals hang onto
life by a tether.  They go into some sort of suspended state or
maybe publish an issue every few years, just enough so that they
they're not viewed as being completely dead.  Libraries often
don't have to pay subscription fees when they are in this state
but there is still time and energy put into checking up on these
titles.  Where I work, we come across these sorts of
almost-ceased journals among our subscriptions on a regular
basis.  We're being increasingly ruthless in officially canceling
them.

Andrew Waller
Serials Librarian
University of Calgary