Re: warranty of non-infringement and indemnification against claims

The whole 'need' for licences is questionable, especially in the
context of a sale of a single title to a single institution.
Selling a print journal to the University of XYZ has never
required a licence; why should selling the same content in a
different form make one necessary? The fact that the electronic
form makes bizarre behaviour easier - for example one university
in one country can easily ping content to all others in that
country; or the publisher can restrict access in the event of
non-renewal - is neither here nor there. Illegal replication and
distribution by universities has happened in the past, and there
already are ways of dealing with it. The idea that publishers can
restrict e-access in the event of non-renewal is wonderfully
bizarre. The analogy, in the print sesrials world, is that, in
the event of non-renewal, the publishers storm into the library
and sieze all the back issues of the Journal of ABC. If the
library has bought the content, not rented or hired it, the
publisher obviously has no further claims over it. It doesn't
need a licence to establish that. If the publisher thinks he has
further claims on sold property, let's see him have his day in
court. It would not at all surprise me if the perceived need for
licences amounts to nothing much more than a means for grinding
more money out of libraries.

Bill Hughes Multi-Science